My Vimeo

Saturday 3 July 2010

Robin Hood (Soundtrack)

Marc Streitenfeld is the composer with whom Ridley Scott now works with on all his films. However, I've never actually heard any of his music before, separate from any film, and I've never actually seen any of the films he's scored either.

When I saw the film this film though the score is one thing that stuck out for me, and in a good way. Whilst there weren't exactly any major themes that I could pick out, there were definite sounds. The sound of the quick strings, a classic Remote Control style (for whom Marc previously worked with, and how he came to work with Ridley Scott), and the amazing sound of the Uilleann Pipes (or at least some other type of bagpipe!).

However, when I first came to listen to the soundtrack away from the film I didn't find it that great. Yes, there were a few really good tracks, but they all seemed to short amongst the rest of the music.

Luckily however, this soundtrack is a grower, and whilst Marc Streitenfeld might not use the Uilleann Pipes like Bear McCreary did in some of his action cues for Battlestar Galactica, he still manages to rock those pipes!

Robin Hood is definitely worth a listen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The soundtrack's numbers are too short. Whatever happened to fuller compositions and complete works even if they weren't used fully in the movie?