My Vimeo

Saturday 21 November 2009

Harry Brown

Everything about this film is absolutely amazing.

The acting in this film particularly stands out and I'm not just talking about Michael Caine, who is excellent as always, I'm talking about the rest of the cast. The performances where BAFTA worthy. I particularly was impressed with Jack O'Connell (who you might better know for playing Cook in Skins).

The way the film is shot is just beautiful. The opening of the film is shot hand held, as opposed to the rest of the film which is quite smooth. However, there are a few moments during the film when the shots take on a more hand held quality, but nothing as extreme as the opening. Each different camera style is used incredibly well, and fits the subject perfectly.

The sound design is mind blowing. Every time Michael Caine shot someone it made me jump. Even you see him pointing the gun at the person and you know that he is going to shoot them, I still jumped. And every time someone got shot I would remain in shock for about 10 seconds.

The only flaw I found in the film was the opening credits which I didn't particularly like, but what do they matter when the film itself is so mind blowing.

The film reminded me of Get Carter and This Is England, which are both excellent films. Although Harry Brown is a thousand times better than either film. An 18 certificate was perfect for this film. A must watch.

No comments: