My Vimeo

Wednesday 6 January 2010

Ice Age 3: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs (Soundtrack)

Another great soundtrack from John Powell. Whilst I prefer his score for Ice Age 2: The Meltdown this one is still just as good.

My only major problem is that the music has been split up into too many tracks. 32 of the 44 tracks are under 2 minutes, 22 are under 1 and a half minutes, 17 are under a minute, and 8 of them are under 30 seconds in length. It works fine if your listening to the soundtrack in order, but if you put it on shuffle then a lot of the tracks continue into the next track, and the one after forming one long cue that's been chopped and sliced up. This is quite noticeable on shuffle.

Other than that it's great. The old themes are back and the new themes are in. I'm less keen on the new themes then the old ones which is why I prefer Ice Age 2: The Meltdown, but if you're a John Powell fan then it's definitely worth a listen. His arrangements of "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" by Lou Rawls are just fantastic. It's worth getting it just for them.

1 comment:

ckret2 said...

I agree that the Ice Age 3 soundtrack is just fantastic! I really love a lot of the tracks. And Ice Age 3 was the first movie of the trilogy where I really took notice of the background music, so now I'm gonna have to go back to Ice Age 2 and listen to it. Thanks for the recommendation!

About the short track problems, I got around that by using a program to combine the tracks that are designed to flow into each other, like "Campfire Stories" and "Flashback." I use MP3 Trimmer on my Mac, but I don't know what would work on other computers. Just Google "mp3 splicing" or "combine mp3s" or something and you should find plenty of programs.