My Vimeo

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Avatar (Soundtrack)

I'm not the biggest James Horner fan, but I am a fan of the songs he composes (or are at least composed using his themes). Titanic, The Mask Of Zorro and Troy all have great songs at the end of them. "I See You" is the newest song from Avatar. Whilst on first listen I wasn't that impressed, on second listen I was, and now I love it.

I don't watch The X Factor because I don't like it, but Leona Lewis who was discovered via the show sure can sing. Whilst I don't like the songs she usually sings I definitely do like this one, and respect that she is a great singer. I would say this song is just as good as James Horner's other songs.

As for the rest of the score, I love it. I didn't listen to it until after I'd seen the film. (Even though I'd bought it before!) With the other scores of Horner's that I own there's usually a few tracks I like and particularly bits of tracks I love. The rest just seems like filler music.

Avatar is definitely not filler music. Every note is amazing, and there is not a single moment on the soundtrack that I dislike. Out of 14 tracks I found 12 of them to be outstanding. The other 2 were still very good, but didn't quite do it for me like the other tracks did.

It reminds me of Horner's Apocalypto score in regards to the tribal sound, but only much, much, much better.

The Avatar score is very much a James Horner one, as it is riddled with his little signature sounds, but it is also what I think is his best score. I would even say it is one of my favourite soundtracks of 2009 and possibly just in general.

Simply a must buy.

No comments: