My Vimeo

Wednesday 10 June 2009

The Passion Of The Christ

If you don't know the story of the bible then you are screwed. The beginning of the film gives no introduction to the character of Jesus or where in his life we are. In particularly there was no introduction to the rest of the characters, I actually had to guess who they were. I only realised that the film was about the last 12 hours of his life because I read the back of the DVD. Perhaps I'm over exaggerating it slightly, but still I wouldn't have known what the first part of the film was about unless I'd read the back of the DVD.

I found the make up effects didn't look all that convincing. Some of the time it looked like a drop of blood had simply landed on his skin, instead of him bleeding from a cut. I found this a little annoying as Jesus spent most of the film covered in blood.

Unfortunately I also found it quite a slow film. Nothing seemed to happen for a while and then when it did, it just lasted way too long. The Jews taking him to get sacrificed took too long, the whipping of him took too long, him carrying the cross took too long and him getting crucified took too long. It felt like these four things took an hour and a half of the film. I'm fine with dragging them out a bit in order to show how horrific they are, but you have to know where the boundary is in going from just the right length to too long. Unfortunately I think they had all over stepped the boundary and needed shortening.

I felt the film would have benefited much better with these parts being shortened and would have allowed for something else to be added to the film, because it just felt like it was missing a lot.

I wasn't that keen on the way the slow motion was used either. There were parts where it worked really well, but like everything else it just seemed to drag on.

Nevertheless, it's not all bad. I thought that the character of the devil was absolutely amazing. The casting, costume and make up, were spot on. All the devil scenes were shot beautifully, the lighting was incredible and the score was amazing. I think they should make a spin-off film about this devil because I cannot get over how stunning the scenes were.

I think if your a fan of Mel Gibson's other directorial works then you'll probably like this film. However, in my opinion Apocalypto is his best work.

6/10

No comments: