My Vimeo

Saturday 31 January 2009

Slumdog Millionaire


This is one of the best looking films I have ever seen. You could take a still image of any single moment from the film and it would make an amazing photograph.

I would definitely recommend watching this film at a big cinema because the soundtrack is awesome and I think you can only really appreciate the film with some massive speakers and amazing surround sound.

The story was pretty amazing as well. It is about this slumdog (a poor, nobody) and how he when he goes on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" everyone thinks he has cheated because he wins. The concept of the structure worked really well, which was that he got asked a question and then we found out how he new the answer. The reason I say the concept worked is because in principal it is a brilliant way of editing. However, I found that for the first half of the film it took too long to get to how he new the answer, and by the time we had found out I had forgotten the question. This is only a minor point though as the questions were recapped after we found out how he new the answer.

Another minor point which I didn't really like was that sometimes they were talking English and sometimes they were talking Indian. All the flashbacks of his childhood were subtitled because everyone was speaking Indian. Then when he jumped off a train in one of his flashbacks he and everyone else was suddenly speaking English. I didn't quite understand the reason for this because the whole film was set in India. I did wonder whether it was because they used "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" and because in India a million pounds is about twenty million of their currency so they aren't really a millionaire if you go by their currency. I think that the whole film should have been in either English or Indian because it didn't really have any reason to change as it was set in the same country, unless people actually talk English in the city. But this was just a minor point.

Overall the film was just amazing. It totally blew me away and it is definitely worth seeing.

No comments: