My Vimeo

Saturday 10 January 2009

The Day The Earth Stood Still


A lot of people seem to think this film is pretty bad, and that Keanu Reaves is really shit in it. I don't.

I should point out that I haven't seen the original 1951 version which most of the people I've talked to have said is better than the 2008 version. However, having seen the 2008 version I really don't see how the original can be better. The visual effects can't be better because they didn't have digital effects back then. I totally believed the effects in this movie because they were just incredible.

So it must be the acting that makes this movie "shit". Keanu Reaves is so crap at acting as he doesn't display any emotion. But just think about it. The character is all about the mission and displays no emotion because emotion is a human thing, and he is not human. Towards the end of the film he does start to feel love. However, he isn't going to go around hugging and kissing everyone as it is more that he understands love than actually feels it. He expresses this understanding by changing his mission. So in actual fact Keanu Reaves does an excellent job of portraying his character. If anyone still has any doubts about Keanu Reaves acting skills then go and watch The Matrix.

The only thing left that I think can possibly make this film worse than the origianal is the story. But surely you can only change the story of, aliens come to wipe out the human race, humans must convince them not to, so much.

This film isn't going to be racing into my top 10 any time soon. But that's not to say that I didn't still really enjoy it.

No comments: