My Vimeo

Saturday 2 May 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine


Having watch the other X-Men films and enjoying them all I was quite looking forward to this film. That is until I saw the trailer. The film look way too heavy on visual effects which even in the trailer just looked rubbish. So when I went to the cinema to see this film I was expecting it to be pretty bad.

Whilst it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be it was by no means as good as I was hoping it would be. This is the second film I've been to recently where the visual effects have been rubbish, the other film being Knowing. I thought they were supposed to get better as technology advances. Even X-Men, which was made in 2000 had better visual effects than X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and that was nine years ago.

But the visual effects weren't the only thing that I found bad. I thought the script was pretty rubbish too. My friend said that he really liked the film because it was very accurate in telling the actual origin of Wolverine as told by the comics. However, I haven't read the comics and so I came in knowing nothing about where Wolverine came from, or who he was before he lost his memory. There were just too many plot holes. For instance, one minute Wolverine was being called Jimmy and the next he was being called Logan. There was absolutely no explanation as to why this happened. It just seemed like he had randomly decided to change his name.

Another thing that pissed me off was the opening credit sequence. It has to be one of the worst ones I've ever seen. In some films, during the opening credits or even the end credits there is a freeze frame of a character, and then the name of the actor playing that character appears on screen. This is what X-Men Origins: Wolverine appeared to do, but didn't. Every time a name appeared on screen the image would freeze. However, every time the image froze it was either on Wolverine or Victor. It took me ages to even work this out and just confused the hell out of me before it finally clicked. And by that time I just thought it was stupid.

There were plenty of other things I didn't like about the film, but lets move onto the good. Hmmm...? I can't really remember. There were definitely some good bits, not outstanding, but okay, probably why I can't really put my finger on them.

Back to the bad, the bit that annoyed me the most was when Charles Xavier appeared near the end. I thought, "Oh my God it's a computer generated Patrick Stewart". After checking IMDb to see if Patrick Stewart made an appearance in the film, I found out that he didn't.

Overall I'd say this film was alright/shit. By far the worst X-Men film.

No comments: