My Vimeo

Saturday 30 May 2009

Angels & Demons

When I saw The DaVinci Code I quite liked it, but then I hadn't read the book. After I'd read the book I saw why a lot of fans of the book didn't really like it. However, since I saw the film first I still liked even after I'd read the book.

With Angels & Demons I read the book before seeing the film. I think this is perhaps why I preferred The DaVinci Code out of the two films. Out of the books though, I prefer Angels & Demons. Strange huh?

Saying that, if I detach myself from the book then Angels & Demons is probably the better of the two films. However, having read the book I felt like I knew what was coming. This is going to happen anyway with any book to film adaptation that you've read, but with other adaptations, even if you've read the book and you know what is going to happen next, you forget and become immersed in the film. Whilst I did feel immersed, I didn't forget, even with the changes, I knew what was coming.

Nevertheless, the film is still very good, and I'd probably give it 7 or 8 out of 10. The action scenes where all very good, and the story was told very well.

My favourite bit about the film though was the music. Oh my God. Hans Zimmer does not just manage to improve on his score for The DaVinci Code but takes it in a whole different direction with Angels & Demons. The action cues have a certain Jason Bourne feel to them. However, even as a John Powell fan I think when Hans Zimmer doesn't it, he reinvents it. The music of this film is almost in a league of its own. It is so intense and powerful it made my spine tingle several times throughout the film. This why Zimmer is one of my all time favourite film composers.

If you're a Zimmer fan then this film is definitely worth seeing. If you're not, then I still think it's worth seeing. I enjoyed it.

No comments: