My Vimeo

Saturday 14 June 2008

Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Whilst many people were sceptical about seeing the return of Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones to the big screen, claiming he was too old, I for one was quite excited at the return of Dr Jones. I wouldn't say I was an avid Indy fan since I never really watch The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, but I did very much enjoy the original trilogy.

As for Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, I would say overall that it was pretty good, and if you ignore the odd ridiculous things (such as in Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom where that guy rips peoples hearts out with his hand and they live to see it happen) then it was a very enjoyable watch.

SPOILER: But there was one big thing that annoyed me with the story. The original Indiana Jones trilogy always had a focus on religion and whilst this film does as well it takes it in a whole different direction. Basically all I am going to say is at the end of the film we see actual aliens and a flying saucer. Now in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade that film took God to be real since he would have to be in order for the Holy Grail to be real. Now personally I don't see Aliens and God co-existing. It could just be me but that story element just didn't work for me as part of an Indiana Jones film. If you ignore that it is an Indiana Jones film then it works great, but then the rest of the story isn't as good. Or if you're a newcomer to Indy then I'm sure it'll work great for you, but it didn't sit well with me.

I don't think that Harrison Ford is too old to play Indiana Jones, but I do think that Indiana Jones is a bit old in this film. He seems rather out of place in this new world, which is set in the late 50s. Although that could be the intention as he's been through a lot in the 19 years since the events in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, such as World War II which we hear a little bit about.

I am glad to say though that whilst I do love Indy it doesn't look as though there is going to be another Indiana Jones film judging by the way it ended. Although a spin-off was hinted at, but I'm not going to make any judgements on that until it comes to pass.

No comments: