My Vimeo

Saturday 19 April 2008

Jumper Soundtrack

This is John Powell's third score for director Doug Liman. I wouldn't say this is Powell's best score as on first listen I didn't really think there were any partucular cues that stood out, but I think this album grows on you.

The cue that really sums up the whole soundtrack is 'Bridges, Rules, Banking' as it contains most of the major themes and sounds. Although it's definitly not the best cue since it doesn't explore the themes as well as some of the other cues such as 'It's Sayonara' which contains the best arrangement of the eastern sounding theme (note: it only sounds eastern because of the instrument it is primarily played on).

Other great cues include, 'Jump Off' which is the better arrangement of the theme also played in the cue 'My Day So Far'.

However, even after listening through the soundtrack several times, I still can't really pick any cues that jump out (excuse the pun). Nevertheless, the soundtrack does have a good overall sound as I have enjoyed it best listening to it as a whole. Although I would say that Doug Liman's last film Mr & Mrs Smith had a much better score from Powell as I found all the cues from that soundtrack were outstanding and I'd put it as one of Powell's best scores.

No comments: